Frequently Asked Questions

Application Questions

Q: Is my application complete?
Your freshman application is complete when we have received the application with essay, SAT/ACT scores, guidance counselor report, teacher recommendation and your high school transcript. Your transfer application is complete when we have received your application and transcripts from all colleges you have attended. Transfer applicants with less than 24 credits must also submit high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores.

Starting in mid-late November, freshman and transfer applicants for the fall semester are able to check the status of their applications online to determine what materials we have received. After we receive the application form, you will receive an e-mail which provides you a username and password so you can login and check the status of your application.

Q: Do you accept the Common Application?
Yes, Seton Hall accepts the Common Application for freshman and transfer applicants.

Q: When will I receive an admission decision?
It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks for an admissions decision to be made once your application is complete. If you applied Early Action I and submitted all of your application materials before November 15, you will receive a decision by December 30. All early action applications are given priority in the application review process.

Q: Are interviews required?
Interviews are not required and are only recommended for students who whose grades and test scores may be lower than our middle 50 percent (generally below a 950 SAT and 3.0 GPA). If you wish to schedule an interview, call the Office of Admissions at 1-800-THE-HALL (843-4255) or e-mail

Q: Do you require the SAT II?
No we do not require the SAT II and there is no need to have them sent to Seton Hall as they are not factored into admission or course placement decisions.

Q: How many letters of recommendations do I need?
Seton Hall requires two letters of recommendation — one from a guidance counselor and one from a teacher. If you would like to submit additional recommendations you may; but it will not affect your application standing. Transfer students with more than 24 credits do not need to submit letters of recommendation.

Q: How much is the application fee?
Seton Hall's undergraduate application fee is $55 for both Seton Hall's application and the Common Application.

Q: Can my application fee be waived?
If your guidance counselor determines that you have an economic hardship, he/she can submit a College Board fee waiver request which will be accepted. In addition you can consult the Office of Admissions at or 1-800-THE-HALL (843-4255) to see if we can provide you with a waiver.

Q: Can my application fee be refunded?
Unfortunately, we are unable to refund application fees once they have been submitted.

Q: Is early action binding?
Early action is not binding. Early Action means that you are indicating to the University that we are among your top choices. It also means that your application will be among the first to be reviewed for admission and scholarship. Early Action I applicants who have submitted all required application materials by November 15 will receive a decision by December 30.

Q: What standardized tests does SHU accept?
Seton Hall accepts both the SAT and the ACT. We will take the highest of the two tests and have no preference in regards to which you submit. We only use the critical reading and math section of the SAT, and we will combine your highest scores from either the SAT or the ACT from multiple sittings. Our average two-part SAT score is a 1100 and our average ACT score is 24.

Q: How do I get my test scores to SHU?
Contact the College Board for SAT scores or ACT and have them send your scores to our office. Seton Hall cannot accept copies of the scores you receive. Seton Hall will accept your scores if they are located on your official high school transcript. Seton Hall's codes are 2811 for SAT and 2606 for ACT.

Q: I graduated a few years ago; do I still need to submit my SAT?
Students that have graduated high school at least five or more years ago are not required to submit their SAT or ACT scores. Also any student that has attained 24 or more credits from a college or university will not be required to submit standardized test scores.

Q: What do I need to do if I’ve been home schooled?
Home schooled students are welcome at Seton Hall. We will need you to submit your SAT scores, recommendation forms and essays as well as a copy of your transcript or home school record. If a home school record/transcript is not available a GED may be submitted instead.

Q: When am I considered a transfer student?
A transfer student is any student who has attempted at least 6 college credits after high school graduation.

Q: What are the admission criteria for the Dual Law program?
In order to be admitted to the Dual Law program, students must have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA, a 29 ACT or a 1300 on the two-part SAT (CR&M) and not less than 650 on the critical reading section.

Q: How do I apply for the University Honors Program?
The University Honors Program requires a separate application and admission to the program is offered to those students who show exemplary grades, test scores and leadership in high school. Generally a minimum of a 3.3 GPA and a 27 on the ACT or 1200 on the critical reasoning and math sections of the SAT are required for admission. Learn more or apply to the University Honors Program by visiting the Honors Program website.

General Questions

Q: How many students apply to Seton Hall, how many are accepted?
We receive about 14,000 applications a year and admit about 8,000 students. In general, we enroll an incoming class of about 1250 students.

Q: Can I have more than one major at Seton Hall?
Absolutely, many students at Seton Hall have a double major and a minor or two. Our curriculum is designed with many elective courses to allow you to pursue multiple interests. We offer over 80 academic programs to enrich your academic experience.

Q: When can I visit Seton Hall?
We offer open house events throughout the year which will allow you to meet with faculty, tour campus and learn about admission and financial aid. In addition, we offer campus tours through the year. Click here to learn more or register for a tour or an open house.

Q: How can I request information?
complete this form or send an e-mail to with your first name, last name, address, phone number, e-mail address, date of birth, current high school, date of high school graduation and intended major to receive information, or you can call 1-800-THE-HALL (843-4255).

Q: Can I have a car on campus?
Only seniors and commuters can have a car on campus, other exceptions are made on a case by case basis for students with off campus practicums or internships. Seton Hall provides regular shuttle service throughout the day around campus and into town and also offers trips to the mall, Target, Best Buy and Whole Foods on the weekends. In addition, we provide van service outside of this route to student who would like a safe ride back to campus in the evenings.

Q: Is housing guaranteed?
Housing is not guaranteed, but historically all freshmen who apply and pay the $375 deposit by the May 1 deadline have always received housing. Priority is given to freshmen who file by the deadline. Upper class students must reapply for housing each year and can strengthen their spot on the housing list by earning points. Points are earned for strong academics, community service, involvement in campus activities and not getting into trouble. However, many upper class students chose not to live on campus and rent houses or apartments with classmates in the local area.

Q: Are freshmen required to live on campus?
Freshmen are not required to live on campus and 82 percent of freshmen live on campus. Students living on campus are required to have a meal plan.

Q: Is your campus a residential campus?
Seton Hall is a residential campus, we have over 2,300 students in residence on campus and about half of these students come from out-of-state. In addition to this number, many upper class students rent apartments or houses in the area and within walking distance to campus adding to the residential feeling of campus since these students just live a few blocks away and also spend their weekends enjoying activities on campus.

Q: What is your religious affiliation, what order is the University?
Seton Hall is a diocesan university under the Archdiocese of Newark therefore we are not affiliated with any particular order (i.e. Jesuit, etc.). Seton Hall is the oldest diocesan university in the country.

Q: Do I have to be Catholic to attend the University or will I feel out of place if I’m not Catholic?
No, Seton Hall University welcomes students of all faiths and we have a very diverse community with students representing many religions. While about 70 percent of our students are Catholic, the University fosters universal values such as service, integrity and compassion and creates an environment that encourages dialogue, acceptance and respect.

Q: What can you tell me about fire safety on campus?
The University has installed extensive sprinkler systems in all the residence halls. Our sprinkler systems go beyond the requirements of state code. We incorporated intensive fire safety training as part of the orientation to residence halls living. Seton Hall has the highest technology available for fire safety and once a fire alarm is pulled South Orange fire department is immediately notified.

Q: What should I do if I am placed on the waitlist?
The first thing you should do if you are placed on the waitlist is return the waitlist card if you are still interested in being considered for admission. You should try to strengthen your application by scheduling an interview. We also suggest you retake you retake SAT/ACT as well as focus on your studies to improve your GPA and submit additional recommendation letters if possible.

Q: I’m interested in joining one of your sports teams, what should I do?
You should complete the online athlete questionnaire found at In addition, you can write a letter and send a video to our coach or have your high school coach write to our coach. Use the Seton Hall address and place the coach’s title on the top.

Q: How can I unsubscribe from the Seton Hall mailing list?
You can send an e-mail to with your full name and birth date with your request to be taken off the mailing list.

Financial Aid and Scholarship Questions

Q: Do you offer scholarships?
Seton Hall is very generous with scholarships and financial aid, we give over $65 million dollars annually to support our students and 97 percent of our students receive some form of financial aid and 93 percent of students receive a grant or scholarship directly form Seton Hall. Incoming students are automatically considered for a scholarship upon admission. In addition there are many special scholarships for which you can apply. These scholarships have a January 1 deadline, learn more at

Q: What is the scholarship deadline?
All applicants are automatically considered for University scholarships. However there are many special scholarships for which students can apply. All of these awards have a January 1 deadline. For a complete list of scholarships, visit

Q: How do I apply for Financial Aid at Seton Hall University?
In order to apply for financial aid, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Seton Hall's recommended deadline for filing a FAFSA is March 1. Filing the FAFSA will entitle you to consideration for need-based grants, as well as work-study and student loans. You do not need to file the FAFSA for scholarship consideration.

Q: Do you require the CSS Profile?
No, we do not require the profile and there is no need for you to complete one. We only use the FAFSA.

Q: I have the SAT/ACT scores to meet the requirements for the Public Tuition Rate but my school does not rank (or I am home schooled or my school is very small, etc).
In this case students cannot qualify for the public tuition rate but they will qualify for a very high University scholarship which is very comparable to the discount provided by the Public Tuition Rate.

Q: My parents are divorced and I live with my mom and she is remarried, what parental information do I have to list on myFAFSA?
When filing the FAFSA the student should use the information from the parent he/she lives with the majority of the time. If this parent is remarried then the information for the parent and the step parent with whom the student lives must be used to complete the FAFSA. If the student lives 50 percent of the time with each parent then he/she can chose which parent to list on the FAFSA and in this case it is recommended that they chose the parent with less savings and income.

Q:Can I use my scholarship for my entire joint degree program?
University Scholarships are only good for four years and can only cover tuition for full-time undergraduate enrollment. Therefore, it does not cover any graduate level enrollment as part of a joint degree program even if the graduate courses are offered through Seton Hall or a partner institution. Please note that undergraduate coursework has course numbers beginning with the number 4 or less. Any course number starting with a 5 is considered graduate level. If you are taking at least 12 credits of undergraduate coursework each semester you are considered full-time. If in your senior year you are taking a combination of undergraduate and graduate courses as part of a joint degree program and you drop below 12 undergraduate credits your University Scholarship will be prorated to cover undergraduate courses in your senior year and you will be charged separately for graduate level courses towards which no scholarship funds will be applied.

Please also note that need-based grants awarded to undergraduate students cannot be applied to cover graduate level course work even as part of a joint degree program.

Q:Can need-based grants or University Scholarships from Seton Hall cover my room and board or books?
No, need-based grants or University Scholarships from Seton Hall University can only be applied to tuition. These funds cannot be used to cover fees, room and board, books or any other charges. If you receive multiple forms of financial aid which can only be applied to tuition and the combined total of these awards exceeds the tuition charges your awards will be reduced. In this case Seton Hall scholarships and need-based grants will be the first forms of aid to be reduced.

Q:Are Seton Hall Need-based grants automatically renewed?
Seton Hall need-based grants are not automatically renewable. Just because you received the award in a given year does not mean you are assured of renewal in a subsequent year. All students must file the FAFSA each year to determine eligibility for renewal. Based on the results of your FAFSA and available funds, you may see a reduction in your Seton Hall need-based grant or lose eligibility completely. This is also the case with all need-based grants from the federal and state governments.

Q:Why has my Seton Hall Scholarship or Grant been reduced?
Many financial aid awards are designated to only cover tuition costs and cannot be used to cover other items such as fees, room and board, books, etc. Examples of such awards are need-based TAG grants from the state of NJ, Seton Hall need-based grants, University Scholarships, tuition remission and some scholarships from outside organizations. If you receive multiple forms of financial aid which can only be applied to tuition and the combined total of these awards exceeds the tuition charges, your awards will be reduced. In this case Seton Hall scholarships and need-based grants will be the first forms of aid to be reduced.

For more frequently asked questions about financial aid, please visit the Office of Financial Aid.

Admitted Student Questions

Q: Does Seton Hall accept AP/IB or college credit?
Submit AP and IB scores and we will grant you college-level credit for AP exam scores of 4 or above and higher-level IB scores above a grade 5. If you have taken college-level courses for credit, we will grant credit for courses in which you have earned a C or better in non-remedial, non-vocational courses. Incoming freshman can receive credit for up to 45 credits, 30 of which can be from tests (AB or IB).

Submit your AP scores electronically via the College Board or mail official copies of your IB scores to:
Office of Admissions
Seton Hall University
400 South Orange Ave.
South Orange, NJ 07079

Q: What do I need to do after I am accepted to enroll?
In order to attend Seton Hall University, the next step after you are accepted is to pay your tuition deposit and mail your confirmation of enrollment form (this form will be found in your acceptance packet). See the complete enrolling checklist which is determined by when you plan to enroll:

Q: How do I pay my tuition deposit?
In order to reserve your spot at Seton Hall, you will need to pay a non-refundable $250 tuition deposit no later than May 1. The best way to pay is online through our admitted student page at You can also mail a check or money order and enclose it with your Confirmation of Enrollment Form in the envelope provided in your acceptance kit. Mail to Seton Hall University Office of Admissions, 400 South Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079. Please note your Student ID on the check. Your ID number is located at the top of your admission letter.

Q: Can my tuition deposit be refunded?
Tuition deposits are non-refundable after May 1.

Q:What placement tests do I need to take?
Some students need to take placement tests in English, math and/or foreign language in order to be placed in the correct course level. These tests must be taken by June 1. Students who fail to take their placement tests may not be able to register for fall classes during Pirate Adventure.

Login at to see your required placement tests. Your login information will be mailed to you in March if you have paid your tuition deposit. Testing is based upon your SAT or ACT score as well as your major. Only placement tests that you need to take will appear in PirateNet. If you do not need to take any placement tests, none will appear. For math, an SAT score of 680 or above (for ACT, 33 or above) will exempt you from the math placement. For English, an SAT Writing score of 550 or above will exempt you from the placement test. If a foreign language placement test appears, you only need to take it if you plan on continuing a language from high school or spoken at home. Anyone planning on taking a new language does not need to the language placement test.

Questions about placement testing? Contact Freshmen Studies at (973) 761-9740 or

Q: Can I request my roommate?
Yes, you can. If you plan to live on campus, you need to complete the housing application and make your non-refundable $375 housing deposit online (this deposit is in addition to your tuition deposit). Please file as soon as possible and no later than May 1. Space is limited and we cannot offer a guarantee. If you prefer to pay by check or money order, enclose it with your tuition deposit. Housing assignments are made in mid-July.

Apply for Housing »

When applying for housing, we also ask that you select a meal plan. For a list of meal plans options visit Meal Plan Information. After room assignments are made, you can make changes to your meal plan.

In early June, Housing and Residence Life will reach out to those who have paid their housing deposit and submitted their housing application with information on roommate selection. Housing assignments are posted on PirateNet and e-mailed in early July.

Q: When is orientation?
Pirate Adventure orientation for first-year students is held in June. Transfer orientation or Transfer Day is held in August. The specific dates for your orientation can be found in your admission letter. Once you pay your tuition deposit you will receive a username and password to logon to PirateNet. Once you logon to PirateNet, you can confirm your attendance to orientation.

Q: Do I need to buy a laptop?
No. All full-time undergraduate students receive a fully-loaded laptop that is upgraded after two years and kept after graduation. This laptop is part of the Mobile Computing program and allows state of the art technology to be integrated into the curriculum.

Q: What is PirateNet?
PirateNet is your one stop portal for all things Seton Hall. Is it how you will view your financial aid package, your class schedule, pay your bill, register for classes and so much more. If you have submitted your non-refundable $250 tuition deposit, you will receive your username and password to logon to PirateNet starting in March.

Q: How do I register for classes? When will I meet my advisor?
All new students will meet their academic advisor and register for classes at orientation, for freshmen this is called Pirate Adventure. Your orientation dates can be found in your admission letter. During orientation, you will also get your laptop, student ID card and meet fellow classmates.

Q: What is your deposit deadline?
Our deposit deadline is May 1. The tuition deposit is $250 and is non-refundable after May 1. The Housing deposit is $375 and is also non-refundable after May 1. If you want to reserve your spot at Seton Hall, we suggest you submit this by the deadline. Last year, shortly after May 1, we were had to stop taking deposits because our class was full.

Q: If I’m accepted can I defer my admission, and for how long?
Your admission decision can be deferred for up to one year. A request must be submitted to the Office of Admissions at, please be sure to include your student ID number. During this year, you cannot attend another university. If you do, you will have to reapply as a transfer student. If you defer your admission, your University Scholarships (if applicable) will also be deferred for up to one year.

Students can defer at any point in the admission cycle, they can defer their application, their admission or their deposit. All deferrals last one year and require that the student not earn credits elsewhere during this time. If they do, the student will have to reapply.

Q: Why do we have to pay a fee for Mobile Computing?
As part of the Mobile Computing Program all students receive a laptop computer. However, Mobile Computing is much more than just giving a student a laptop computer, we are utilizing technology to enhance the classroom experience, integrate technology into the learning process, creating a more learner-centered environment and preparing students with valuable skills.

All students are required to participate in the Mobile Computing Program. The Mobile Computing fee is not only for the laptop itself, (a new laptop is given to you after 2 years and you get to keep it after graduation) but it is also for the $3,000 worth of software on the laptops, the Web space provided to students, the email account, the access throughout campus, the network upkeep, the development of educational integration, the help desk and repair services, etc. Most universities charge students a technology fee for access to computers and email. We are charging a similar fee, which is higher but also includes much more than most other Universities.

Q: What if I want to change my major?
If you want to change your major prior the start of classes, please contact the Office of Admissions at or 1-800-THE-HALL (843-4255) and they will determine if this change can be made.